Important Dog Thrive Vaccine Policy Change!

Due to recommendations from our affiliated Veterinarians, we are now requiring all on-site (Daycare, Boarding, Grooming, Training) dogs to receive the canine influenza vaccine. We have had ZERO cases of canine influenza here at Dog Thrive; however, it is recommended for dogs that have lifestyles engaging in communal dog activities, such as dog daycare. The vaccine will not only aid in preventing a dog from contracting canine influenza, but would reduce the severity and duration of the illness. Our veterinarians affirm that because of the similar risk groups, dogs that receive the Bordetella vaccine should also receive the canine influenza vaccine.

We feel it is important to know more about canine influenza and the reasons veterinarians recommend the vaccine. According to a publication by the American Veterinary Medical Foundation: All dogs that are exposed to Canine Influenza Virus become infected, but only 80% develop clinical signs of disease. The other estimated 20% of infected dogs that don’t show signs of disease, can still shed the virus and spread the infection.

Symptoms to look for are:

  • Persisting cough for 10 to 21 days that despite treatment, it may be a soft moist cough or a dry cough similar to “kennel cough”.
  • Nasal or eye discharge
  • Sneezing
  • Lack of energy
  • Anorexia
  • Fever (104-105​°F)

If your dog is diagnosed with canine influenza, the following steps of treatment are recommended and of course, be sure to consult your personal veterinarian:

  • Good nutrition and supplements to raise immunity.
  • A warm, quiet and comfortable spot to rest.
  • Medications to treat secondary bacterial infections.
  • Intravenous fluids to maintain hydration.
  • Workup and treatment for pneumonia.

Our front desk staff has been verbally notifying our amazing customers about this policy change and we hope to have all of our Dog Thrive pack up to date on this vaccine by October 1st. Please let us know immediately for any questions, concerns or if your dog will not be able to be vaccinated by October 1st. Our front desk can be reached during business hours at 443-281-3647.

Thank you all for sharing your amazing dogs with us and we hope this will serve as another way to keep your dog happy and healthy, when in our care. For general inquiries about our services, please.